Getting rear-ended is always a jarring experience, even if you make it out without injuries. In other instances, a back-end collision can cause severe harm requiring extensive medical treatment. Unfortunately, holding someone legally liable for causing a rear-ending is far from a simple process, even if it seems obvious that another driver is at fault.
Recovering in the aftermath of a rear-end car accident in Bethlehem is easier with seasoned legal counsel on your side. Working with a winning car accident lawyer at Ostroff Godshall Injury and Accident Lawyers will give you the best chance of getting the compensation you deserve.
Liability for a Rear-End Car Wreck
Figuring out who’s at fault for an auto accident in Pennsylvania means figuring out who was “negligent” leading up to the wreck. Legal negligence has four components. Your Bethlehem lawyer must prove the following to hold someone liable for rear-ending you:
- The person who rear-ended you had a “duty of care,” requiring them to obey traffic laws and act reasonably behind the wheel. This duty is automatic for every licensed driver in Pennsylvania.
- That person “breached” their duty by doing something reckless, careless, or illegal while driving.
- That person’s irresponsible actions directly led to them rear-ending you, and the accident likely wouldn’t have happened if not for their irresponsible actions.
- You suffered at least one injury severe enough that you needed professional medical care.
It’s more common for the rear driver to be found negligent in a back-end collision. However, it’s also possible for the front driver to be partially at fault for this kind of wreck. For example, suppose they slammed on their brakes suddenly or changed lanes without signaling. In this situation, a court might hold the front driver partially or even primarily at fault for their own injuries, which could lead to them missing out on some or all of the compensation they otherwise could’ve received.
Getting Paid for a Rear-Ending in Bethlehem
Through a successful lawsuit or settlement proposal for a rear-end car accident, your local attorney can seek payment for losses like:
- Physical pain and suffering
- All past and expected future medical bills
- Emotional and psychological anguish
- Vehicle damage, including car replacement costs and rental car fees
- Loss of life’s pleasures
- Lost ability to work or lost wages
Due to how Pennsylvania law handles car accident litigation, you might have a limited right to file suit after a rear-ending, depending on your car insurance coverage. Our qualified lawyers can explain this in more detail during a free, no-obligation consultation.
Call a Bethlehem Attorney for Help After a Rear-End Car Accident
Any car wreck that leaves you seriously injured might justify a civil settlement or even a lawsuit in civil court. However, your odds of success are slim without support from a legal professional with a track record of success.
After a rear-end car accident in Bethlehem, contacting a skilled lawyer should be your top priority. Call Ostroff Godshall Injury and Accident Lawyers today to discuss your case. Our firm won a $10 million settlement for a client who suffered serious injuries in a rear-end crash on a Pennsylvania interstate highway. We know how to fight and win for our clients.