Although some accidents and injuries may be unavoidable, many can be traced back to someone doing something reckless or careless. When someone’s irresponsible actions lead to you getting seriously hurt, you often have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit and demand compensation for every effect your injuries will have on your life.
However, getting paid what you deserve can be challenging, especially without support from an experienced attorney. Fortunately, you have help available from a York personal injury lawyer at Ostroff Godshall Injury and Accident Lawyers. We have decades of experience fighting to hold negligent parties accountable and winning cases for people in your situation.
When Can You Sue Someone Over a Personal Injury?
While there are a few exceptions for specific types of cases, most personal injury claims filed in Pennsylvania are based on the legal theory of “negligence.” Put simply, you can hold someone else financially liable for losses you suffered in an accident if you and your York attorney can prove they met all the following conditions necessary to be considered legally negligent:
- They owed you a “duty of care” requiring them to act responsibly under specific circumstances—for example, the duty all motor vehicle drivers have to follow traffic laws and pay attention to the road around them
- They did something reckless, careless, or illegal, which “breached” the duty they owed you
- Their “breach of duty” was the main and direct cause of an accident that likely wouldn’t have happened without that breach
- That accident was the main and direct cause of the injury or injuries you’re filing suit over
Our skilled injury lawyers in York can help establish negligence in various situations, from auto accidents to sudden falls to even mistakes by doctors and other healthcare professionals.
Getting Paid Fairly for an Accident in York
A personal injury lawsuit aims to return you to your pre-injury condition as much as possible. A lawsuit accomplishes this by reimbursing you for specific losses you have already suffered and will likely suffer in the future because of your injury. This can include but isn’t strictly limited to:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emergency medical bills and expected costs of future care
- Emotional and psychological trauma
- Lost ability to work and draw income in the future, plus lost work income and benefits like health insurance
- Loss of life’s pleasures
- Personal property damage caused by the accident, plus accident-related expenses like rental car fees after a wreck
The seasoned local attorneys at Ostroff Godshall Injury and Accident Lawyers can listen to your situation, understand how your injury has affected your life, and demand fair compensation for all your losses.
Contact a York Personal Injury Attorney for Help
The Pennsylvania legal system can be challenging to navigate, especially while recovering from severe injuries. You will likely encounter various legal and procedural obstacles if you try to pursue a personal injury claim alone.
Working with a skilled York personal injury lawyer can make all the difference in your ability to enforce your rights and seek justice for the harm you should’ve never experienced. Call Ostroff Godshall Injury and Accident Lawyers to learn how we can fight like hell for every cent of compensation you deserve. You won’t owe us anything until we win your case, so set up your free consultation today.