When winning is the only option

Veteran Death Benefits

The Veterans Affairs Death Pension is a need-based benefit and is paid to the deceased veteran’s surviving spouse and children. The death of a loved one is never easy, but if your family member was a veteran, you and your family may be eligible for certain benefits from the Veterans Administration.

Veteran Death BenefitsBurial Expenses: If your loved one died while on active duty, the Veterans Administration will pay up to $2,000 toward the burial expenses of your family member provided your loved one died on or after September 11, 2001.

If your loved one died due to a non-service related cause, the Veteran’s Administration will pay up to $300.00 for the funeral expense and up to $300.00 for the plot-interment.

Military Memorial: In many cases the Veterans Administration will pay for a headstone or grave marker and a burial flag. These benefits will also include a President’s certificate as well.

Other Benefits: You could also receive dependency and indemnity compensation, which is paid to the surviving spouse and minor children of your loved one. There may also be a death pension available payable to widows and dependents of a wartime veteran who died from disabilities that are not related to the military service.

Documentation Needed

In order to receive Veterans Death Benefits there is certain documentation that you will be required to provide. The type and amount of documentation will vary depending on the type of benefits you are eligible for.

This documentation can include: a certified copy of the veteran’s discharge form; a certified copy of the marriage certificate; a certified copy of the death certificate; certified copies of birth certificates for any minor children; Social Security numbers of the veteran, surviving spouse, and dependent children; and copies of all the funeral and burial bills that have been paid.

To contact the Veteran’s Administration to see what benefits you may be eligible for, call the Veterans Affairs Office at 1-800-827-1000.

If your loved one was a veteran, you and your family may be eligible for certain benefits from the Veterans Administration. It’s important that you contact them as soon as possible to ensure you and your family is receiving all the benefits you qualify for. In many cases the funeral home will contact the Veterans Administration for you.

For nearly 25 years, Jon Ostroff has been representing the estates of over 100 children and adults who have died across Pennsylvania as a result of someone else’s negligence. Jon will spend the time and money it takes to figure out what happened to your loved one. If unable to recover money for your loved one’s estate, Jon will pay these costs.

Jon Ostroff’s ability to find the evidence that wins cases has earned him his distinguished reputation across Pennsylvania as a wrongful death attorney.

Get Started For Free

Get started for free with our no obligation consultation if you think you may have a case. If we do accept your case, you pay us nothing until we successfully recover money for you! Find out how we can help.

Start Live Chat

We’re available 24/7. Click to chat with a live representative now.


Discuss your case with a personal injury attorney. Call us at (484) 351-0350 to learn if we can help you.

Free Case Evaluation

Get started by scheduling your case evaluation.