Fall Motorcycle Accident Hazards
Fall is the Season for Pumpkin Lattes, Fall Color, and Motorcycle Crashes
Pennsylvania has the most beautiful fall foliage in the nation. If you are a motorcyclist, you may think that autumn is a perfect time for a motorcycle trip. What better place to enjoy the beauty of our maples, birches, buckeyes and oaks than the back of a bike?
A fall motorcycle trip is a memorable way to say goodbye to the motorcycle riding season before the winter weather hits. However, fall, like every season, has its own motorcycle accident hazards. These tips can help ensure that your memories include fall foliage and not injuries.
- Fallen leaves: The beautiful leaves that inspired your trip can also be a danger to motorcyclists. As leaves accumulate, they can become very slick. This reduces traction and makes it difficult to stop. Leaves can also cover dangerous road conditions such as potholes.
- Early sunsets: Because the sun is rising later and setting earlier, you should be prepared to ride in the dark. Check your brake lights, head lights and blinkers to make sure that they are functioning properly. Wear light-colored gear with reflective trim.
- Sun glare: Because the sun is lower in the sky, there is more glare – especially in the mornings and afternoons. Wear polarizing goggles to cut down on glare and improve your vision.
- Deer in the road: Fall is mating season for Pennsylvania’s deer and peak-season for deer-motorcycle accidents. Watch for deer, especially in wooded areas and areas marked by deer crossing signs.
- Cold air: Temperatures in the fall can range from warm to downright chilly. Dress in layers so you can stay comfortable in changing weather conditions. Remember, cold air can also affect your tires since air contracts as it cools. Watch for changes in tire pressure.
Enjoy your fall motorcycle trip.
Drivers are the Biggest Motorcycle Accident Hazard
The truth is that most Pennsylvania motorcycle accidents are caused by reckless drivers, not fallen leaves. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, give us a call. Our attorneys are happy to schedule a free consultation to discuss your claim.