Creating a Car Accident Checklist
The immediate aftermath of a car crash can be overwhelming. Even the most organized person can quickly become overwhelmed and be shaken by the unexpected accident.
For that reason Ostroff Godshall Injury and Accident Lawyers recommends that you keep an accident checklist in your glove compartment so that you know exactly what to do if you are involved in an auto accident.
Our recommended checklist includes:
- Call 911 or your local police department to report the accident.
- Call a relative or friend and ask them to come to the accident scene to help you.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. Remember your cell phone likely has a camera even if you don’t have a camera in the car.
- Take notes of anything that you noticed prior to, during, or immediately after the accident. For example, did you notice the other driver talking on his cell phone? Was the other driver driving erratically? Speeding? Smelling of alcohol? Did anyone say anything about the cause of the accident?
- Write down the names and addresses of the witnesses.
- Write down the name, addresses, license plate numbers, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information for every other vehicle involved in the accident.
- Write down the investigating officer’s name and ask when the police report will be ready and where you should get it.
- Seek emergency medical care at the hospital or call your own physician.
- Call an experienced auto accident lawyer.
Additionally, we recommend that your checklist include a contact list at the bottom with:
- The name and phone numbers of at least two people whom you want contacted if you are in an accident and cannot make the call yourself;
- The name of your preferred hospital;
- The name and phone number of your primary care physician; and
- The name and phone number of your car accident lawyer: Jon Ostroff, Ostroff Godshall Injury and Accident Lawyers.
The simple step of creating an accident checklist and leaving it in your vehicle can help you gather the evidence that you need to obtain a fair recovery for your accident injuries.