Choosing an Attorney for Your Pennsylvania Accident Claim
You were injured in a Pennsylvania car accident and you need a lawyer. How do you find the right lawyer for your case?
A google search on “Pennsylvania car crash lawyer” will produce an overwhelming 1,400,000 results. Some of the names may be familiar from billboards, yellow page ads, and late night TV commercials. But, ads can’t tell you about legal skills. These tips can help you choose the right lawyer for your accident injury case.
Seven Step Guide for Choosing a Pennsylvania Accident Lawyer
- Ask for referrals. After an accident, everyone wants to help. While you may not appreciate your great aunt’s garlic poultice for a sore back, your co-worker may know a great attorney. Ask your friends and family – and even your doctor – for attorney recommendations. Visit the attorney websites and check ratings and reviews on AVVO.
- Look for a personal injury attorney. There are many attorneys who have general practices. This means that they take accident cases, but they also handle divorces, real estate law, estate planning and speeding tickets. Pennsylvania personal injury law is constantly changing. You want need a lawyer who is familiar with the most recent legal developments in Pennsylvania injury law and has the expertise to get you the settlement you deserve.
- Look for an attorney who has handled accident claims similar to yours. Pennsylvania personal injury lawyers handle cases ranging from car accident whiplash to wrongful death due to medical mistakes. Choose a lawyer who has successfully handled accident cases that are similar to yours.
- Look at the attorney’s case results. Many attorney websites have a section devoted to recoveries. Read through the case results to learn how well the attorney represents cases like yours.
- Interview the attorney. When you’ve narrowed your choices to two to five lawyers, make an appointment to meet with each attorney. Most car accidents lawyers offer free consultations, so this will only cost your time. You will have a chance to interview the lawyer, decide if you can work together, and get his opinion about your case.
- Choose an attorney who takes cases on a contingency basis. Lawyers are expensive. If an accident has left you injured and unable to work, the last thing you need is more bills. When you with a lawyer on a contingency basis, there are no upfront costs. Instead, the lawyer gets paid a percentage of your settlement. If he doesn’t win your cases, you don’t pay his fee.
- Choose an attorney you like. There are many excellent personal injury lawyers in Pennsylvania. But, skill isn’t the only quality you should seek in a lawyer. You will be sharing personal information with your attorney, and you will be spending a lot of time together. When trying to decide between qualified lawyers, choose a lawyer that you like and feel you can trust.
Pennsylvania accident claim attorney John Ostroff has handled, settled or reviewed more than 25,000 injury cases in the last 25 years. He has helped clients get results when other lawyers have given up. Jon is passionate about helping Pennsylvania accident victims, and he is well-liked by his clients. Meet Jon and learn how he can help you. To schedule a free consultation, contact Ostroff Injury Law.