A Summary of Pennsylvania Pedestrian Laws
Pedestrian accidents, while less common than auto accidents, can result in more significant injuries.
A pedestrian lacks the protective metal of a motor vehicle to prevent serious and fatal injuries. Thus, it is even more important to prevent pedestrian accidents.
Pennsylvania has enacted several statutes that are designed to decrease the number of pedestrian accidents in the Commonwealth. All of the statutes are found in Title 75, Chapter 35 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes.
Most Important Parts of the Specific Laws
- Pedestrians must obey the instructions of police officers and traffic controllers. Local ordinances can require pedestrians to obey traffic signals (Section 3541);
- In a place without traffic signals, vehicles must give right of way to pedestrian in a crosswalk or at an intersection. A pedestrian shall not suddenly walk or run into the path of a vehicle (Section 3542);
- If a pedestrian is not crossing a crosswalk or intersection then the pedestrian shall yield to the vehicle. J walking is not permitted unless directed by a police officer or traffic controller (Section 3543).
- Pedestrians must use sidewalks if available. If there is no sidewalk, pedestrians must use at the shoulder of the road or the outside of the road (Section 3544);
- Prohibiting hitchhiking (Section 3545);
- No vehicular traffic is allowed in safety zones (Section 3546);
- A pedestrian on a sidewalk has the right of way and vehicles entering the sidewalk from alleys, driveways, or other locations must yield to pedestrians (Section 3547);
- Pedestrians must yield to emergency vehicles although the driver of emergency vehicles must drive with due regard for pedestrian safety (Section 3548); and
- Explaining the rights and responsibilities of blind pedestrians (Section 3549).
Pennsylvania Pedestrian Lawyer
Despite these statutes, pedestrian accidents still happen in Pennsylvania. If you have been hurt, or a loved one has been killed, in a pedestrian accident then please contact the pedestrian accident lawyers of Ostroff Injury Law to make sure that all of your rights are protected and that you get the financial recovery that you deserve.