When winning is the only option

Obtaining Benefits When a Loved One Dies

Family members and relatives of the deceased may also be eligible for benefits upon death. The death of a family member is a difficult and emotional time for family and friends. However, it’s important to make the necessary arrangements to receive any benefits you and your family may be entitled to. To do this properly, certain steps should be taken.

Obtaining Benefits When a Loved One DiesNotify the Employer

If your family member was working, you will need to contact his or her employer as soon as possible. Ask about any benefits due from the employer, including payment for sick days, vacation time, and so forth. Also ask about any life insurance policies your loved one may have had through the company. Find out who you need to talk to about those life insurance policies, who the beneficiary is, and how you file a claim.

Life Insurance Company

If your family member had life insurance outside his or her employment, you need to locate the policy. If you can’t find the policy, locate the company’s name or the agent’s name and notify them of the death. The life insurance company will send you the appropriate forms to fill out. You will need to return a copy of the death certificate, and may request additional documentation.

Social Security

You will want to contact the Social Security Administration of your loved one’s death. You can do this by calling or visiting your local Social Security office. They will assist you in filing the appropriate forms. They may request a copy of the death certificate and other documents. Also, you or your children may be eligible for certain payments and benefits, so you will want to ask about what benefits you and your children may be eligible for.

Veterans Administration

If your loved one was a veteran, you and your family may be eligible for certain benefits from the Veterans Administration. These benefits can vary greatly so you will want to ask what specific benefits you and your family may be eligible for. The Veterans Administration may request a copy of the death certificate, marriage license, and birth certificates of any children.

Unions and Other Professional Organizations

If your loved one belonged to a union or other professional organization, you will want to notify them of the death. It’s possible your loved one had a life insurance policy, or other type of benefits through one of these organizations.


The death of a loved one is a trying and difficult time for your family, but it is important to file for any death benefits as soon as possible. If you need help with obtaining any benefits due you, you may want to contact a probate attorney who can assist you with this process and help you and your family through this difficult time.

For nearly 25 years, Jon Ostroff has been representing the estates of over 100 children and adults who have died across Pennsylvania as a result of someone else’s negligence. Jon will spend the time and money it takes to figure out what happened to your loved one. If unable to recover money for your loved one’s estate, Jon will pay these costs.

Jon Ostroff’s ability to find the evidence that wins cases has earned him his distinguished reputation across Pennsylvania as a wrongful death attorney.

Get Started For Free

Get started for free with our no obligation consultation if you think you may have a case. If we do accept your case, you pay us nothing until we successfully recover money for you! Find out how we can help.

Start Live Chat

We’re available 24/7. Click to chat with a live representative now.


Discuss your case with a personal injury attorney. Call us at (484) 351-0350 to learn if we can help you.

Free Case Evaluation

Get started by scheduling your case evaluation.